Thursday, April 3, 2014

April 2, 2014 - Scott Kazmir throws a gem

The game that was rained out the day before was replayed at 12:35, with a night game to be played at 6 PM. I elected to cover just the day game a I had plans with a friend for later that evening already.

The game was the Oakland Athletics debut for newly-signed free agent pitcher Scott Kazmir, formerly of the Rays and Indians. Against his old team, Scotty went 7 1/3 of shutout ball, striking out five while throwing less than 100 pitches.

View from the A's press box, first day on the gig for the Martinez News-Gazette. @MarkEOrtega



After six years of covering boxing, I'm usually comfortable in a setting where I'm working as media. Sitting in the press box for the A's and having little idea of where things were and what to do was interesting. When the game was over and we went into the clubhouse, it was especially surreal. There, Derek Norris and Eric Sogard were eating at a table while Kazmir fielded questions. I got a question in, snapped a pic or two, and took down quotes to throw into my story later. I didn't get a chance to talk to Coco Crisp, who I have a feature planned on later this month.

A's starter Scott Kazmir answers questions in the press room. @MarkEOrtega
Seeing Joe Fonzi and other known sports people made it especially funny to me. When I was in fifth grade, Fonzi visited our class and told us about his job as sports guy on the local news. Even then it jumped out as something I wanted to be involved with.

My brother took Olivia to the night game. She loves baseball games because it means cotton candy, but I'm hoping I can help make her a die-hard A's fan. Lord knows they could always use more of them. Though I'm not sure I want to expose her to that kind of heartbreak yet.

After I got back I grabbed a bite with another friend and caught up. The rest of the week was going to be busy so it was good to see a few people before things started getting crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment