Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April 1, 2014 - Perfect month begins with rainout

So April 2014 setup to be the craziest and most exciting month of my entire life until that point. I think there are four days I'm not scheduled to do something, whether it is cover a fight, concert, or Oakland A's game. I'm not one for keeping journals, but thought for a month I might be able to handle it. Plus I'll want to remember this month forever.


I got to the Bay Area the day before after two long Megabus rides from Las Vegas ($5 total, boo yah!). Apr. 1, I was supposed to go cover the A's against the Indians, their second game of the season. It was my first regular season coverage of the A's for the Martinez News-Gazette, where I've kept a boxing column since September 2012. Of course it ends up being the first rainout in fifteen years for the A's in Oakland. I had bought my brother Mario a ticket when it the sky was dumping rain at an unreal rate. A few hours later, the game was canceled.

I ended up catching up with an old friend from high school that night in downtown Danville. She's one of the few of us that were on the newspaper staff that kept up with journalism or media post-high school and into our working lives. She's an anchor for a news station in the Midwest, which is pretty cool. It's always good to see old friends when you get a chance.

Other than that it was just a fun day spent hanging out with my four year old niece Olivia, who is the most adorable thing on the planet. Good first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment