Thursday, September 25, 2014

Album Preview: Damien Rice's "My Favourite Faded Fantasy" gets the Rick Rubin treatment


Album Preview: Damien Rice's "My Favourite Faded Fantasy" gets the Rick Rubin treatment
Mark E. Ortega
GrimyGoods.com
September 25, 2014

Something as powerful and emotionally taxing as Damien Rice’s first new material in eight years shouldn’t be something that you can access via Spotify. It just feels wrong.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Spotify. It is one of the only unnecessary bills I pay monthly. But Rice’s single “I Don’t Want to Change You” is something I should have to drive to a record store to procure before heading home and feeling sad and melancholy upon listening.

The upcoming album, titled My Favourite Faded Fantasy, is Rice’s first album since 9 back in 2006. In the time since, Rice disbanded his professional and personal relationship with Lisa Hannigan, the cellist and vocalist who brought additional depth to Rice’s songwriting with her vocal prowess. Whereas Rice’s vocals were sometimes harsh and sharp-edged, Hannigan’s soft vocals helped bring a balance.

Click here to read the rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment