Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Donaire contemplated retirement, talks comeback, Rigondeaux, HBO


Donaire contemplated retirement, talks comeback, Rigondeaux, HBO
Mark E. Ortega
RingTV.com
July 16, 2013


You wouldn't have guessed it based on the fact that it was easily the most important year of his professional career, but Nonito Donaire was at one point contemplating retirement during 2012. Last year, Donaire fought four times on the way to earning Fighter of the Year honors from the Boxing Writers Assoc. of America.

"Honestly, after the [Toshiaki] Nishioka fight, I was really thinking about retiring," Donaire told RingTV.com on Friday as he took in ESPN2's Friday Night Fights in Las Vegas.

"I felt like I had accomplished everything I set out to. I had won titles in multiple divisions, had made it onto pound-for-pound lists. I was ready to quit, and then I got the [Jorge] Arce fight [in December] and just decided to get back in the gym."

During 2012, Donaire conquered the 122-pound division, and his four-fight year was a rarity for a top fighter.

Click here to read the rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment